Reasons to use a professional pest exterminator
Imagine discovering unwanted visitors within your home; invading your space and creating mess, allergies and serious damage to the structure of your property. This is not an uncommon occurrence where pests are concerned – and once they have made it through the doors, walls or cracks, getting them back out again can often prove tricky.
The majority of time we can keep pests at bay through good hygiene, regular home maintenance and a range of preventative methods. If you are besieged by bugs or vermin, then there are a number of do-it-yourself pest control solutions and products available to buy.
But, when a bunch of critters decide to take up permanent residency or persistent pests keeps re-visiting your home, you know it is time to bring in some professional help. Often only considered as a last resort, when you employ the services of a pest control expert they will not only leave your house pest free for longer but can advise you of signs of invasion and even save you money in the long-run.
7 benefits of using professional pest control
If you feel that your pest problem is too overwhelming to tackle on your own, then you should seriously consider calling a professional exterminator.
There are many benefits to hiring a pest control expert which include: –
1. A pest control specialist will have the knowledge, know-how and equipment to identify and eradicate your pests quickly. They will know how they are accessing your property and most importantly, they can advise on the best way of getting them out.
2. A good pest control company will adopt a systematic approach to removing your pests. This will start with a thorough inspection, followed by treatment and will conclude with some after care visits to prevent reoccurrences from happening further down the line.
3. Pest control specialists will only use pesticides as a last resort and should be regulated by state and national laws in order to protect animals and children from exposure. They should always advise you on the best treatments for your individual circumstance and inform you of the risks no matter how big or small.
4. As professional pest control products are far more superior than those that can be bought straight off the shelf, they tend to work quicker and are much more effective in combating the problem. Most pest control companies use licensed products, which can only be applied by those who are fully trained – thus removing any risk from yourself.
5. Pest control can be a messy business, so it’s best left to the experts to tidy up and dispose of any pests. Plus, when you employ the services of a professional pest control company you can enjoy peace of mind that your pest sharing days are over.
6. Hiring a trained pest control company will not only save you time but often money in the long run. Cheaper DIY pest control treatments often take a lot longer to work and the chance for a reoccurring infestation is a lot higher compared to fail safe methods employed by experts.
7. If you have been unlucky enough to experience pests which have caused significant damage to your property in the past – like rats chewing through electric cables or tree squirrels causing structural damage to your roof – then an exterminator can often recommend someone who is used to dealing with pest repairs.
What to look for in a pest control company
Whether you are a domestic or commercial resident, you need to select a pest control company that is trustworthy and efficient. Word of mouth and recommendations are always preferable, but you should also check to see that they are a member of the National Pest Management Association, as well as any other professional auditing bodies.
Each company must have at least one licensed commercial pesticide applicator, who must be present to either undertake or directly supervise any treatment. If you have any concerns regarding this, you can check and verify licences by contacting your appropriate State Department of Agriculture.
Finally, a good pest control company should undertake their business in a discreet manner – especially if you are a commercial establishment and want to protect your good reputation.
How long should pest control treatment last?
The most common question I get asked regarding professional pest control treatments, is for how long they will last. Unfortunately, there is no one given answer for this, because it depends on a variety of factors. Some pests such as silverfish and ants require regular treatment to keep them away, whilst a squirrel is likely to be a one-off situation. Bait boxes and traps should be checked regularly for signs of activity.
It also depends on whether the source of the infestation is properly identified and been dealt with in the first instance. For example, bed bugs are notoriously difficult to eradicate and can live deep within the cracks and crevices of your mattress. They can even be bought back in to your property by a friend, neighbor or pet.
Finally, it is important the you use preventative methods to stop pests from re-entering your property. Rodent and termite proofing your property is a sure-fire way to prevent an infestation or a problem from re-occurring. From sealing gaps to cleaning down worksurfaces and moving bird feeders away from the house, prevention is always better than cure. For more tips on this I suggest reading my blogs – how to stop a rat infestation and how to repel bed bugs.
That said, professional products are more potent than DIY, so you can expect your treatment to last significantly longer.
What is the cost of professional pest control?
How much will you pay for a good night’s sleep, to save your business’s reputation or just to rest easy in your own home? Paying out for professional pest control treatment can seem expensive, however if left untreated, you could be looking at thousands of dollars in home pest repairs.
Some companies will offer a monthly payment plan to include treatment and follow up visits, whilst some won’t even take payment until your pests have gone.
The type of pest you have also determines how much the process will cost. Bed bugs tend to be more persistent so often require multiple treatments whereas a rats and mice are fairly straight forward. The cost can vary between $125 to $500, but severe infestations which require fumigation can cost $1000’s.
Conclusion – why I believe it’s better to hire a professional
Having been in the pest control industry for decades there are many reasons why I believe hiring professional pest control experts is invaluable.
Whilst Do-It-Yourself products can be effective in eradicating small infestations, if you have a chronic invasion, your pest situation can soon spiral and become very serious.
Although the initial investment of hiring a professional pest company may appear more expensive, it often ends up being the cheaper alternative. Off the shelf pesticides are not as effective and it may take a number of attempts to see any real results. Thus, continuing to buy in store products soon gets expensive.
The potential damage a pest can cause to your business reputation and even your home can be extensive, and you may not even notice immediately. By employing an experienced and knowledgeable exterminator quickly can lead to the identification and resolution of your pest problems for good, without anyone needing to know.