Who wants to deal with mice or rats in their home? As bad as it is to find evidence of rodents around your home, it may be even worse to deal with the smell of dead mice thanks to the snap traps you forget you set or the poisoned rodents that died in your walls.
Electric mouse traps solve these problems and more with a safe, humane approach to stop your pest problem.
Here’s what you should know about electronic mouse traps, how to use them, and a look at the 8 best electric rodent traps available now.
What Is an Electric Mouse Trap?
In the past, the only solutions for treating a rodent problem involved dangerous poisons or inhumane methods like glue traps, snap traps, or water traps. Electric traps are a new generation of rodent traps that work by delivering a lethal high-voltage shock that can kill rodents in seconds.
With electronic traps, you can eliminate pests in and around your home without chemicals or poison. These traps a good choice for homes with pets or small children as well because most are tamper-proof and do not pose a risk.
How Do Electronic Mouse Traps Work?
Electronic rodent traps work on a simple premise: when the rodent enters the trap to get the bait, they activate a closed circuit system that sends a high voltage current through the metal plate on which they are standing.
As the current enters their body, rodents are killed in a matter of seconds. Most electric mouse traps use battery power but some come with the option of plugging the device in with an adapter for long-term reliability.
Benefits of Electric Rodent Traps
There are plenty of options when it comes to addressing a rodent problem in and around your home or business. No other option comes with the benefits you can enjoy by investing in an electronic mouse trap.
Electronic traps are the safest, most effective, and most humane trap on the market with excellent results for commercial and residential rodent control.
Here’s why it’s worth the cost to try an electric rodent trap.
- Very high success rate. You won’t find an injured rodent or missing bait with an electric device that comes with a 100% kill rate.
- Rodents are killed humanely. Rodents are quickly electrocuted as soon as they trigger the trap with death occurring in just a few seconds. This is definitely not the case with snap traps, which may not catch a rodent in the right part of the body and cause suffering. Poisoned bait, on the other hand, can draw out death by up to a week.
- No mess. There will not be blood or gore. The rodent will be electrocuted and the body will slide out of the trap when it’s tilted. This may not be the case with snap traps, unfortunately. Poisoned bait can also pose a problem because rodents can die from the poison anywhere — including in their nest in the wall. This can leave the odor of rot in your home until the bodies decompose.
- No see, no touch rodent disposal. With most electronic mouse traps, you simply tilt the trap over the trash and the dead rodent will slide right out. You never need to see or touch a dead rodent.
- Pet and child safe. most electronic traps are designed with safety in mind. There are no poisons or chemicals that pets or child can touch or ingest. The openings may be quite small as well.
- Reusable. Electronic traps can last for several years unlike snap traps and other options that are designed to be thrown out with the dead rodent. This is important to consider when investing $25 or more in an electronic device.
How to Set an Electric Mouse Trap
Rodents are smarter than you may give them credit for. Rats especially are very wary of new objects and food sources in areas they travel through and they tend to ignore these objects for days. It’s not common for an electronic trap to fail to kill anything for the first few days, even if it’s in a good location and properly baited.
To maximize your chances of success, it’s important to set the trap carefully. Always handle the trap with gloves to avoid leaving the scent of humans on the device. To help the rodents get used to the trap, bait it and place it without the batteries for a couple of days. This allows the rodents to get a couple of free meals and determine the trap is safe before you arm it.
With most electronic traps, setting them is simple. Most have a two-piece assembly or a small hatch in the back to add bait. You can use almost any type of bait you like but the best mouse bait options tend to be peanut butter, dry cereal, sunflower seeds, or pet food. If you can, use a Q-tip or toothpick to add the bait to avoid transferring your scent. After the trap is baited, install the batteries and place the trap against the wall in a travel path or area the rodents frequent. Some devices require that you press a button to activate the device but others are on as long as the batteries are charged.
Where to Place Electric Mouse Traps
There are two rules for placing any type of rodent trap: it should be near evidence of rodent activity and it should be against a wall or corner. Because rats tend to be more intelligent than mice and prefer safe, enclosed areas, you may need to get creative and place the traps in areas that aren’t used frequently by humans such as an attic or storage shed.
To help find good locations for your trap, look for evidence of rodents:
- Droppings. Mouse droppings are very small with pointed ends. Rat droppings are much larger, or about the length of your thumbnail, with rounded ends.
- Unusual activity from pets. Your cat may hang out and wait patiently near an appliance, pace around the kitchen sink, or stare intently at an area of the wall when they hear or smell rodent activity. Dogs can also become upset and pay special attention to fence lines at night when they hear mouse and rat activity.
- Tracks in dust. Look for tail trails and small footprints in dusty areas along baseboards, near sources of food, and along baseboards. This can also help you determine where a rodent is getting into your home.
- Gnawed wood. Rats and mice chew frequently. Look for scratch or bite marks on baseboards, door frames, cabinets, or any wood barriers.
- Smears on baseboards. Because rodents stick close to walls and borders as they move, you may see grease smears on your baseboards.
Once you notice signs of rodents and get an idea of where they are nesting, traveling, or eating, you’re ready to place at least a couple of traps. Make sure the traps are placed along the walls the rodents travel with the entrance against the wall to encourage the rodent to run right inside.
Here are some areas that are frequently targeted by mice and rats:
- Under the kitchen sink
- Under kitchen appliances like a dishwasher or fridge
- Outdoor shed or barn
- Wall cavities. In this case, you should narrow down where the rodents come out to eat.
What Can Go Wrong with Electric Mouse Traps?
One of the biggest benefits of electronic rodent traps is they are safe, humane, and don’t involve the use of chemicals or poisons. This makes them a pet-friendly and child-friendly solution. Still, it’s a good idea to set the traps in areas where they won’t be bothered by pets or small children as they will deliver a shock to anything that activates the system inside the tunnel such as a hand.
You should also take care when cleaning the device between kills. To be safe, take the top off the trap and remove the batteries before wiping it. Only use a slightly damp paper towel to clean the inside of the device. Most electronic traps can’t be washed with liquids.
One of the biggest drawbacks with electronic devices is they usually can’t be used outdoors in the rain and snow because moisture inside the device will cause it to short circuit.
How Effective Are They?
Electric rodent traps are the most effective type of mouse trap available as long as they are used correctly.
To ensure effective results, make sure you:
- Place the traps strategically in areas of rodent activity
- Make sure the entrance is against a wall
- Always verify the device is on and the batteries have sufficient charge to deliver lethal voltage
- Use the right bait that will attract rodents such as peanut butter
- Do not let the device get wet which will prevent it from working at all
When these steps are followed, you can expect a 100% kill rate for every mouse, rat, squirrel, and chipmunk that enters the trap. Many are even designed with fail-safes to prevent rodents from escaping before the shock kills them, which only takes a few seconds.
There are some reports of certain brands and models of electric traps malfunctioning and failing to deliver a lethal shock although these cases are rare. As a general rule, your trap should kill 20 or up to 100 lethal shocks per battery set.
Top-Rated Electronic Rodent Traps
Not all electronic mouse and rat traps are equal. While all use the same basic technology, some traps deliver stronger shocks for a more humane death with a better design that makes the trap easier to use and the rodents easier to dispose of. The following electronic rat and mouse traps are ordered from best to worst based primarily on customer reviews and popularity but cost is also considered.
- ADVANCED SMART DETECTION TECHNOLOGY - The Hoont Electronic Rat Trap is equipped with advanced rodent detection technology, which ensures that rats and all other rodents get instantly killed, without any possibility of escaping. Works for Mice, Rats, Squirrels, Chipmunks and other similar rodents.
- EASY TO USE- Simply plug in the device with the provided adapter or insert batteries, apply a small amount of bait, such as peanut butter, etc., then place the Hoont Electronic Rat Trap at the desired location and power it on. The Electronic Rat Trap will emit a 7000V shock when a rodent enters into the trap, instantly killing the rodent. New more powerful upgraded version.
- PLUG-IN or BATTERIES - The Hoont Electronic Rat Trap comes with a 5 Ft. plug-in adapter for hassle free unlimited kills. Can also be operated with 4 'D' batteries (batteries not included), allowing up to 30+ kills per set of batteries. / Features also an extension plugin- indicator light for hard-to-reach areas, that enables to check for trapped rodents without the need to check the actual device. / Upgraded parts for enhanced performance.
- SAFE & NO MESS - Get rodent free without the use of dangerous poisons and chemicals / Discarding the rodent is a breeze with absolutely no mess. No blood and no touching of dead rodents; to discard the exterminated rodent, simply pick up the device, slide the dead rodent into the trash bin and place the trap back to its location ready for its next catch. / Dimensions: 11" x 4.5" x 5" /
- ULTRA HUMANE - The Hoont Electronic Rat Trap kills the rodents as quickly and humanely as possible. It works by emitting a 7000V electric shock, which instantly kills the rodent, with virtually no pain to the rodent.
The Hoont electronic rodent trap is an upgraded version of a popular electronic trap that delivers enough voltage to humanely kill not only mice and rats but also squirrels, chipmunks, and other problem rodents. The trap uses advanced technology to detect rodents which are killed instantly before they can escape. It’s also easy to use and works with a plug-in adapter or batteries. Rodents are killed with no mess and can be disposed of without the mess.
- Plug-in or batteries. Unlike most electronic rat traps, the Hoont trap can be plugged in with an adapter or it can operate with four D batteries. Each set of batteries can kill up to 30 rodents.
- Humanely kills rodents by instantly delivering a lethal 7000 volt shock.
- Easily dispose of rodents without the mess by tipping the trap on its slide and allowing the dead rodent to slide into the trash.
- Indicates a rodent is in the trap with a red flashing light and a green light when the rodent is dead. It also buzzes to indicate it’s “occupied” and needs to be emptied.
- One of the most affordable and effective electric traps on the market.
- This device doesn’t offer the highest possible voltage. Some people have reported a rodent being electrocuted with a non-lethal charge or even getting blown out of the trap.
- Cleanly, quickly and humanely kills mice and rats with a strong and deadly shock.
- Easy to use. Insert batteries, bait, turn it on, place, and relax
- Hands-free "no touch, no view" disposal reduces "yuck" factor of a common mouse and rat trap
- Safe and sanitary. While always wise to use caution around kids and pets, there is no blood, mess, chemicals, or poisons
- Great for home use and occasional infestations
Produced by Victor, the Rat Zapper Classic is the top-rated electronic mouse trap on the market. It quickly and humanely kills rodents with a deadly shock once they enter the trap. The trap is also easy to set and use: insert batteries, add bait to the chamber, turn the unit on, and place the trap. Unlike other rodent traps, you can dispose of dead rodents without ever seeing or touching the remains. You will know the trap has caught a rodent when a red light appears.
- Kills up to 30 rodents per charge. The Rat Zapper Classic can kill up to 30 rodents with lithium batteries or 20 rodents with alkaline batteries. It uses 4 standard AA-sized batteries.
- No touch, no-view disposal. After a catch, tip the Zapper device and let the dead rodent fall out into the trash.
- Delivers 8,000 volts for two minutes when the trap is sprung.
- Flashing red indicator light tells you when a rodent has been killed. A green light indicates the batteries are charged and the device is on.
- Optional Rat Tale sold separately. This remote indicator light lets you know when to empty a Rat Zapper in a remote area like an attic.
- Reusable for many years.
- One of the more expensive electronic mouse traps on the market.
- May give false positives sometimes. This can happen if the trap gets damp outside or a small creature like a cricket sets off the trap.
- POWERFUL ELECTRIC RAT TRAP - Precision rodent detection technology. Emits powerful 7000V electric shock. Instantly kills rodent. Great Rat Killer and extermination solution for mice and rats.
- RODENT & RAT TRAP- Effective for Rats, Mice, Chipmunks, Squirrels and all other similar rodents. Size: 11" x 4.5" x 5"
- ADD RAT & MOUSE BAIT - Simple to use; just insert batteries or plug-in and apply a small amount of bait.
- INSTANT & HUMANE RAT KILLER - Perfect rodent control solution for homes, commercial kitchens, warehouses, etc. Kills rats and rodents fast causing minimal pain.
- FAST & EASY SOLUTION - Includes a 5 Ft. plug-in adapter. Can also be operated with 4 'D' batteries (batteries not included) / Upgraded for enhanced performance.
PestZilla has upgraded their rodent zap trap to emit a strong 7000 volt shock when rodents step on the floor of the trap. The PestZilla trap uses either four D batteries or it can be plugged in with a five-foot adapter to kill up to 30 rodents per set of batteries. It also comes with an extension indicator light if the trap is placed in areas that are hard to check frequently such as an attic, crawlspace, or behind an appliance.
- Indicator light is red until there is a kill then it blinks green and beeps.
- Easy to bait with a hatch in the back for adding your choice of bait.
- Extension indicator light lets you know if the trap is occupied if you can’t check it frequently.
- Can be used indoors or outdoors but it cannot get wet.
- Delivers a humane 7000 volt shock that kills rodents immediately
- Large and powerful enough to kill larger rats and squirrels
- Some owners complain that the tabs used to hold the top portion of the device in place are difficult to insert and break after long-term use.
- Uses a heart-stopping electric shock to HUMANELY & INSTANTLY KILL the rodent, with no blood or mess.
- Automatic circuit disconnect eliminates accidental shock when cleaning
- Discreet color and design doesn't advertise a rodent problem
- 2-Piece housing allows the unit to be easily cleaned and serviced
- All weather housing works even in the rain
Most electric rat traps are designed for mice up to medium-sized rats and squirrels but the Rodent Terminator can handle even large rats with ease. This heavy-duty rodent trap is the perfect solution for large-scale or troublesome rodent problems inside and outside of the home. It’s completely weatherproof and can even be used in the rain. It will remain on standby for several months with a long battery life.
- Inconspicuous brown color and basic design blends into your landscaping so you aren’t advertising a rodent problem.
- Simple two-piece design snaps apart for easy cleaning and baiting
- Eliminates shocks while cleaning with an automatic circuit disconnect.
- All weather housing for outdoor use
- No-touch disposal of rodents: just dump the rodent out of the open end of the trap.
- Light indicators for successive kill and low batteries
- Not the most affordable electric traps
- Heavier than many electronic rodent traps. This device weighs more than 2 pounds.
- No on/off switch. You need to remove the batteries to make sure the device is off.
- SMART MOUSE TRAP - Innovative electric mouse trap with an intelligent wireless circuit sensor that senses when the rodent enters, eliminates any possibility of escape, and works well for mice, rats, squirrels & chipmunks.
- HUMANE RAT TRAP- A powerful electric shock of 7000 volts will instantly kill the rodent without any pain & is easy to dispose of the dead rodent by simply lifting the lid & emptying it into the dustbin.
- CHILD-SAFE DESIGN - ABCO electric rat trap kills rodents without the need to resort to toxic substances & is hence the perfect rat trap for homes with small children as it requires no harmful poisons or chemicals for operation.
- LESS WASTE & COST-EFFECTIVE RAT ZAPPER - Our rodent trap runs on 4 alkaline D batteries (not included), offering an average of up to 30 uses, producing less waste at a lower cost than disposable mouse catchers!
- EFFICIENT DESIGN - Our rat trap bait comes in a size of 11 in x 4.5 in x 5 in, with the rodent tunnel being 3.23 in x 3.42 in, making it the best mice trap for your lawn, garden, & patio in your home, office or storage facility!
The Abco Tech humane rodent killer is a sturdy device that delivers a lethal shock to rodents as they enter with a smart wireless circuit sensor. On average, the Abco device gets up to 30 kills per set of D batteries but it can also be plugged into an outlet with the adapter.
- Administers a 7000 volt shock to rodents when they step onto the metal plate
- Uses four D batteries or the electrical adapter
- LED indicator flashes red when a rodent is in the trap and being killed, flashes green once when the rodent is dead, and stays green when the device is safe to handle. The LED indicator flashes green and red when the battery is low.
- Large and powerful enough for mice, rats, squirrels, and even larger pests that can fit into the tunnel
- Easy to operate and dead rodents can be removed by separating the top half of the device or tilting it over the trash
- More expensive than other electric rodent traps
Best Victor Electronic Mouse Trap Reviews
Victor has been one of the leading brands in rodent control for more than 100 years. Victor invented the spring-based mouse trap in 1890 and now offers a wide range of electronic mouse traps for greater convenience. This Victor electronic mouse trap review covers the brand’s best-selling electric traps.
- Smart circuit technology senses mice to trigger high voltage electronic shock to eliminate up to 10 mice per setting; 150 per set of 4C batteries(included)
- 2 staircases allow for dual entry
- Patented Shock N' Drop Chamber rotates, dropping the mouse into the collection drawer
- Easy to use, simply bait, turn on, & empty
- Safe for kids and pets with built-in safety switch that automatically deactivates the trap whenever its door is open
Searching for an electronic mouse trap that doesn’t need to be cleaned between kills? This Victor Multi Kill Electronic Mouse Trap review is what you’re looking for.
This is one of the few electric mouse traps on the market that can kill up to 10 mice with each setting. It has a 100% kill rate and delivers a lethal shock as mice enter.
- Kills up to 10 mice per setting without cleaning out the device. The Victor Multi Kill device has a Shock N’ Drop Chamber that automatically rotates to deposit dead mice in a collection drawer before resetting.
- Convenient collection drawer makes it easy to dispose of dead mice without touching them
- Two entry points for mice to increase chances of a kill
- Green indicator light shows when a kill is made
- Automatic safety feature deactivates the system when the lid is opened
- Only designed for indoor use
- Some people report the device stops working reliably after a few months. Issues include malfunctions with the rotating kill plate and unreliable battery power.
- Ideal for catching and killing larger rats, mice
- Easy to use insert batteries, bait, turn it on, Place, and relax
- Hands-free no touch, no view disposal reduces the yuck factor
- Safe and sanitary while always wise to use caution around kids and pets, there is no blood, mess, chemicals, or poisons
- One set of 4 D batteries equals to 60 kills
It’s easy to see why this Victor electronic mouse trap is one of the best-selling models online. This Victor electronic mouse trap review covers one of the newer versions of the Victor Rat Zapper Ultra, model number RZU001-2A.
While expensive, the trap has a sleek design, delivers high voltage shocks, and can kill mice and rats in seconds. This Victor electronic mouse trap is popular for commercial rodent protection and ongoing infestations as well as killing larger rodents around your home.
It also delivers more kills and longer standby times than lower-cost Victor electric trap models.
- Delivers about 60 kills with one set of D batteries
- Delivers a continuous 2 minute shock to guarantee rodents are eliminated humanely
- LED light indicator for kills and low batteries
- Tilt the device over the trash to dispose of dead rodents without seeing or touching
- Designed for indoor use only
- One of the more expensive electronic mouse traps
- Some users report problems with rats being shocked but surviving the trap
- 100% kill Rate
- Kills up to 100 mice per set of fully charged batteries
- Beveled columns hold Mouse in Place for no escapes
- No touch, no see experience
- Removable kill chamber for easy baiting and cleaning
The M250S is one of the most affordable electronic mouse traps designed specifically for mice. It can kill up to 100 mice with a single set of batteries with a removable kill chamber that makes it easy to clean and bait the trap.
With its beveled columns, the Victor electric trap has a guaranteed 100% kill rate.
- Delivers a high voltage shock to kill rodents in seconds
- Uses four AA batteries that can kill up to 100 mice.
- Smart circuit technology detects when a mouse enters the tunnel to trigger the system
- Blinking green LED light indicates kills.
- Removable kill chamber to clean the device and add new bait
- No touch, no see experience allows you to dispose of dead mice without the mess
- This model is only designed for mice. It has a small opening that will not accommodate rats, squirrels, chipmunks, and other rodents.
- Only designed for indoor use
Wrapping up the best electric mouse traps
All of these electronic mouse traps work in the same basic way but they each have something different to offer. The best overall electric mouse trap for convenience and ease-of-use is the Victor Multi Kill device which can kill and store up to 10 mice before it needs to be emptied.
If you are concerned about larger rodents or want a more versatile and cost-effective solution to a rodent problem, the Hoont Robust Electronic Rodent Trap is the clear winner because it can instantly kill even large rodents like squirrels and rats.