Chicago top 3 most bed bug infested city
Did you know that Chicago features in the top 3 most bed bug infested cities according to a survey conducted in association with the NPMA? At City Pests, we work with leading pest control companies to eradicate bed bug infestations on your behalf.
Facts on bed bugs in Chicago
The hardest pest of all to control and exterminate, it comes as no surprise to hear that bed bugs are the most common critters to be found in America. And, based on the most bed bug treatments carried out in 2018 by pest control experts, Chicago takes an undesirable third place for the most bed bug infested cities. These fast-spreading, blood-sucking creatures, are on the rise, and according to these bed bug statistics, it appears that no one and nowhere is safe!
What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are small, flat, wingless insects, named for their tendency to live within our mattresses and on our bed, although they are also prevalent throughout our homes, condominiums, apartments, hotels, hospitals and public transport to name but a few. They feed off our blood whilst we’re asleep and although difficult to spot, can leave nasty bite marks behind.
Drawn to us humans by our body heat and smell, these mini vampires can get quite attached, hitchhiking rides to other places and allowing us to unintentionally contaminate other people.
To find out more about what causes bed bugs, read our blogs on what causes bed bugs and what attracts them.
How to prevent bed bugs from entering your home
It is easy to unknowingly bring bed bugs into your home, and for this reason it is important to take some preventative measures to ensure you catch them as soon as possible.
Simple ways to prevent bed bugs:
- Inspecting your home regularly for signs of bed bugs amongst your sheets and mattress seams as well as behind headboards, picture frames and furniture. Make sure you look out for any signs of blood stains, black smears or living or dead bed bugs.
- Decrease the amount of clutter you have as this will make bed bugs easier to spot.
- Be wary of buying second-hand furniture. Always inspect it thoroughly before bringing it in to your home as it is a common way for bed bugs to be introduced into your home.
- Clean your bedding on the hottest temperature setting your fabric can endure and make sure that you wash curtains and soft toys too.
- If you travel regularly always check the common bed bug hiding places before sitting and setting up for the night.
- Elevate any luggage away from beds and walls or better still, place it in the bath. This slippery surface is disliked by bed bugs who are unable to grip and hook themselves on.For further advice on how to avoid bed bugs when travelling.
How to get rid of bed bugs in Chicago
If you are in the unfortunate position of spotting a bed bug or two, chances are there are hundreds more lurking as an adult female bed bug lays one to seven eggs per day and up to several hundred per year.
From bed bug vacuums to steamers and bed bug powders to spray, do not fear, as whilst these pests are notoriously persistent, there are plenty of products that will provide a solution to your problem. Treating a bed bug infestation does take time and a lot of persistent and if this is something you struggle with, or if you are finding that bed bugs keep coming back, then it is well worth calling in professional pest control.
Read our full guide on how to prevent, detect and deter bed bug from your property.
What is Chicago doing to eradicate bed bugs?
In 2013, Chicago council passed an ordinance to address the ever growing problem of reported bed bug cases within the city.
Key points are as follows:
- Rental Housing – all landlords must provide a brochure on bed bugs to tenants when signing a new or renewing an existing lease or other rental agreement however this requirement does not apply to owner-occupied buildings containing six units or less.
- Condominium and Cooperative Buildings – all governing associations need to have a written plan to address bed bugs, a sample of which can be found here.
- Businesses – every business licensed by the City of Chicago must enlist the services of a pest control company when a bed bug problem occurs on their premises.
- Hotels – any hotel or establishment that is used for sleeping is prohibited from renting out rooms that have a known bed bug problem.
Bed bugs are non-discriminate and are found throughout the city of Chicago so early detection and due diligence is crucial. Whilst Chicago city council are doing everything, they can to reduce the number of bed bug cases occurring, it is important that you act fast to stop infestations from spreading.
If you are unable to do this through conventional over the counter methods such as bed bug powders and sprays, then you should enlist the services of a professional pest control expert. City Pests can help you to do this, by passing on your details to one of our affiliated bed bug control companies. So, don’t let the bed bugs bite, get in touch with us today.